Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Technology Hurting Young People

Ever since I started this blog over a decade ago I have been talking about the dangers of technology and cell phones and how they are alienating us, making us less empathic and causing a host of physical health and mental health issues. Adolescents and children have been particularly hit hard.

This decline began around 2009 with the introduction of the smart phone as I noted back in 2017 when I talked about a book by psychologist Jean Twenge who examines intergenerational trends and changes Technology Kills--Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

Last month The NY Times began a series about how adolescent mental health has suffered on adolescent mental health. Author Matt Richtel said,

What makes less sense to me is why our society has done so little to protect children from the apparent damages of ubiquitous digital media. They are almost certainly larger for most children than the threat from Covid.



 

No comments: