Saturday, October 24, 2020

Melondy Hill State Forest (SE Chenango County, NY), Part 1 Manitou Stones

Given the success that I have had doing surveys recently in Chenango County, NY  (Survey in Chenango County, NY--Part IChenango County Survey (9/26)--Continued) I decided I would return to Chenango County.

While doing research I remembered Don Windsor Chenango County's archaeologist's paper on Stone Mounds in Chenango County. Given the glowing writeup on  Melondy Hill NYS DEC State Forest I decided to go there.I also found a writeup that Don Windsor did for the Rock Piles Blog Souvenirs of Yesteryear: The mysterious stone ... - Rock Pilesrockpiles.blogspot.com › 2006/10 › souvenirs-of-yester... I was pretty psyched to check out the tall columned stone structures at Melondy Hill.

The challenge was that I would have to walk two miles in a trail-less state forest relying only on my compass and a topographical map to get to the stone columns. I was also going to use the boundary markers of the state forest to help guide me. Unfortunately, I had difficulty finding the first boundary marker.....

Manitous Abound

On my hike in I found lots of Manitou Stones (pictured below), mostly small ones in areas that had not been logged. I did not see any Manitou Stones in areas that were logged on my hike in; although I did not spend time looking because I was  on the move. These logged areas contained lots of rubble, large truck tracks, overturned soil, downed trees and a vibe that was negative. In essence these areas were both physically and spiritually scarred. 

If you have read this blog, or my other works, you know that the vibe/atmosphere of a particular space is very important. That is because a positive vibe will enhance a space, while a negative vibe will diminish a space. An improved vibe will accentuate and highlight features of Mother Earth found there. More on this later.

The following are some of the larger Manitou Stones that I found.


In the picture below Jaeda Bear is lying down between two larger Manitou Stones.


The picture below shows how the Manitou on the right side in the picture above has split.

As I noted finding that first boundary marker was a challenge and I walked over a mile before I found one. I can't remember if I ever felt more grateful for finding a posted sign. See below.




Below is a closeup of the smaller Manitou on the left side in the picture above.



To Continue Reading


No comments: