Monday, May 1, 2023

Earth Magic at the Ramapo Walls

I went back to the Ramapo Walls last Friday for a survey. I was last there in 2019, here is my post Ramapo Walls and Stone Mounds at Harriman Park, NYS--Part I Overview.

Below is a YouTube video of my survey last Friday.

I brought along my hiking buddy Bill, whom I went hiking with at Harriman park almost every weekend after my divorce in the late nineties.

We had some excitement. My concern about visiting Harriman, particularly  the southern and southeastern ends is that there are lots of rattlesnakes there; which both of us have encountered. Because of this I kept my dog Jaeda Bear tethered close to me on a short four foot leash.

Shortly after we got there I spent time shooting a video on a Manitou Stone with a seat and Bill went exploring. While I was shooting I heard a loud thud and saw Jaeda Bear was excited. I looked over and saw a black Bear, probably a yearling, had fallen off a large log.

I realized we had to hightail it out of there so I began blowing my whistle and shouting "Bear..Bear.." But Bill kept meandering about. Fortunately my whistling and shouting "Bear" scared the bear. When I finally connected with Bill, he told me he thought I was calling Jaeda Bear when I yelled "Bear, Bear..." one of her nicknames.

We were lucky. What a hoot. I wish I had more  forsight and kept shooting and captured the bear on a video.




No comments: